Experience Environmental Sciences
Read a book with an environmental science focus and discuss how the characters are interacting with the environment around them. Interact with the animals of unique environments during science. Do a math formula that provides better understanding of water consumption. These are all examples of students participating in lessons that meet Iowa Core standards and incorporate the environmental sciences theme. Students in the environmental sciences specialty school will gain an in-depth understanding of sustainability and human interaction with the world through daily lessons delivered in every subject area throughout the day.
Dig Into Environmental Sciences
- Discover and interpret Spalding Park Environmental Sciences school grounds, including the school garden and outdoor classrooms.
- Identify environmental factors that affect living organisms and our future.
- Use scientific processes and inquiry skills to solve environmental problems and communicate results.
Hands-On, Minds-On Learning
- Build an understanding for the environment through experimental learning opportunities.
- Participate in environmentally based service learning.
- Collaborate with community partners.
- Take an active role in protecting and caring for the world.
Environmental Sciences Spaces and Technology
- Outdoor classrooms enhance learning and increase student engagement.
- The school garden helps students nurture and develop natural food sources.
- A hydroponics system allows the school garden to be sustainable year-round and introduces students to important environmental sciences technology.
- The school geothermal system has saved the District $46,583 in electrical costs.
- Sustainability efforts at school have created a reduction in CO2 by 671 metric tons.
- Students and staff recycle an average of 750 pounds of paper and cardboard monthly.